Many of us drive past this empty cement wall every day.
About a year ago, I got hit with a simple, creative idea. This half-painted (already graffitied) piece of cement is a canvas waiting for a mural.
One thing our city is missing is murals on buildings, walls, and other blank spaces. We have an amazing art community but murals are hard to find around Cd’A and Kootenai County. Whenever I travel, I jealously appreciate large art pieces in other cities. Even in smaller cities.
This retaining wall on Upriver Dr, traveling north into Coeur d’Alene on Highway 95, is a great opportunity for our city/county to bring a blank wall to life.
How will this project come to be?
- We find out who must approve a project like this
- We find funding for the project
- We take submissions from artists
- We approve it through city council or county officials
What would be the barriers to making this art project a reality?
- Disagreement on what the mural should be
Well, I have some good news. I’ve been told there may already be funding for a project like this through the Coeur d’Alene Commission the Arts!
People will have opinions about what type of art should go in such a pronounced location, I would suggest right off the bat it’s Idaho or Coeur d’Alene focused.
A few ideas I’ve had:
- A timeline of progress from left to right. Maybe a short history of Cd’A.
- A beautiful nature scene. Trees, lakes, animals. Simple and beautiful.
If we put this out to our art community I believe we will get some really great submissions.
This is a perfect opportunity to make a beautiful statement as people enter our city. Currently, it
So Coeur d’Alene… can we get creative?!!
We’d love for you to leave your ideas in the comments!